Our level 3 Community Interpreters course is designed for speakers of other languages with a good level of English and hopes to enable them to support communication between members of their ethnic communities and the public services in the UK. The course aims to improve your skills and performance as an interpreter by allowing you to develop and evaluate your own performance as you engage with public service protocol. It will teach you about the legal requirements of interpreting in a variety of settings and who to support interpretations through sight translation.
The course objectives are for the participants to develop and evaluate their performance, to understand the protocols of the public service and to know how to perform as a professional interpreter in a community setting.
Lecture, group- and pairwork, research on the internet, use of virtual learning platform moodle, student presentations.
– Ongoing assessment by tutor and peers
– Portfolio of evidence assessed by tutor and monitored by external assessor
– Practical performances (role play and sight translation)
– Assessment through language assessor
– Production of a suitable glossary
Aims and Content